Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Selected candidates will:
- Propose and initiate the engineering and design of projects to improve the reliability, operation, and efficiency of the electrical power systems and I&C Systems in the steam and electric generating stations and other ancillary Company locations.
- Prepare equipment inspection, overhaul and repair specifications and evaluate contractor/vendor- proposals.
- Apply their strong knowledge of the National Electric Code, NFPA, and NYC & NYS codes to project they initiate or other station support efforts.
- Perform calculations relating to proper equipment selection, breaker coordination, short circuit and voltage drop.
- Exhibit a thorough understanding of plant electric and control system design, construction, operations, maintenance, testing or analysis in the utility industry, oil & gas industry or marine propulsion.
- Provide field support as needed to support System and Equipment Engineering counterparts and Steam Production Operations.
- Assist in the preparation of operating, maintenance, and test requirements for electrical and control equipment and/or components in the generating stations.
- Perform reviews of performance maintenance and corrective maintenance plans for effectiveness and frequency relating to electrical components in the generating stations; i.e. emergency diesel generators. turbine generators, UPS, fire protection/alarm systems, PA systems, electric motors, switchgear components, Instrumentation, controls and event investigations at generating plants that require electrical support.
- Assist in evaluating whether problematic equipment should be repaired or replaced.
- Investigate and develop responses/solutions to generating station engineering service requests (ESR); perform cost benefit analysis for proposed solutions.
- Assist System Engineers with System Condition Assessments by providing a fleet wide perspective of same or similar assets.
- Establish and maintain effective lines of communication among various internal and external organizations.
- Present on project details to inform and guide Central Engineering, various internal Customers, and all levels of management.
- Provides other technical assistance as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 2 years of full time work experience to include one year of applicable engineering work experience - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H) Applicable engineering experience includes working on commercial/industrial electrical and control system design, construction, operations, maintenance, testing or analysis Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 3 years applicable engineering work experience - ENGINEER (2L). Applicable experience includes experience in project planning, design, and construction of industrial electrical power and control systems including the selection of power and control equipment.
- Must be able to exercise independent judgment and render sound business decisions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 8 years of applicable engineering work experience - SR. ENGINEER (2H) Applicable experience includes project planning, design, and implementation of industrial electrical power systems including the selection of power and control equipment. Requires the ability to work independently, initiate areas of investigation, and drive projects/programs to achieve results.
- Master's Degree with a Bachelors Degree in Engineering And 6 years of applicable engineering work experience - SR. ENGINEER (2H) Applicable experience includes project planning, design, and implementation of industrial electrical power systems including the selection of power and control equipment. Requires the ability to work independently, initiate areas of investigation, and drive projects/programs to achieve results.
Required Work Experience
- REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a Bachelors degree in Engineering and a minimum of 2 years full time work experience to include 1 year of applicable engineering work experience.
- Requires a proven record of accomplishments in providing engineering support for various types of commercial building/yard electrical systems, including selection of power equipment (e.g. bus bar, cables, generators, MCCs, motors, power panels, switchgear, transformers, UPS, instrumentation, etc.).
- The candidates must be especially well versed in the National Electric Code, and NFPA; be able to perform breaker coordination, short circuit, voltage drop, select electrical and control equipment.
- Requires strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Requires strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel on all levels.
- Should be knowledgeable in basic engineering design and principles.
- Requires computer proficiency to include Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel).
- PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:
- Professional Engineers License preferred.
- Ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects and assignments Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be willing and able to travel and work throughout the company service territory, and beyond to attend company meetings at non-company locations.
- Must be willing and able to make the required visits to power plants and commercial facilities.
- Must be willing and able to wear the required PPE.
- Must be willing and able to work in all weather conditions, as well as confined spaces.
- Must be willing and able to walk extensively indoors and outdoors and climb ladders.
- Must be willing and able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be willing to work in a generating plant environment.
- Must be willing and able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be available for emergency work (including off hours, and weekends) as required by system conditions.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.