Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Under general supervision, the technician may go to various field locations to collect samples, install instruments, train, and inspect equipment and structures; work within the laboratory performing receiving, preparation and analyses functions; and serve as driver, navigator or instrument operator in the mobile locating of trouble conditions across the service territory. In all roles, the technician will need to work safely, communicate with team members, and meticulously document and analyze their findings and observations.
- Performance of environmental sampling
- Performance of chemical analyses
- Respond to field emergencies on off-shifts and weekends
- Work greater than 8 hours per shift on an as-needed basis
- Create and maintain records as well as prepare and issue written reports
- Understand, follow, create and edit policies, procedures and guidelines relevant to your work assignments.
- Communicate with customers and laboratory team
- Follow good housekeeping and cleanliness practices
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as associated with the operation of a laboratory
- High School Diploma/GED And four (4) years of relevant experience Laboratory analyses or environmental field services Or
- Associate's Degree And two (2) years of relevant experience Laboratory analyses or environmental field services
- Associate's Degree preferably in science or engineering And two (2) years of relevant experience Laboratory analyses or environmental field services
Required Work Experience
- Performing biology or chemistry sample analyses within a laboratory Required
- Performing environmental field services involving the sampling of various materials in different matrices. Req
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Demonstrated customer service skills
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confimed spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 375 llbs.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.