Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Con Edison Interest Posting for General Utility Worker positions requiring Pre-employment Testing for employment.
- Because this position requires you to operate a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) weighting between 10,000-26,000 pounds and possess a Department of Transportation (DOT) medical examiner's certificate, you are prohibited from using Marijuana and you will be tested for Marijuana as part of the DOT physical exam.
- If extended a job offer, you will be required to obtain certifications from the American Red Cross for Standard First-Aid, CPR and Blood Borne Pathogens. External candidates will be responsible for the cost of these certifications.
- If a vacancy becomes available and you meet the minimum qualifications of the position, you may be contacted. Business needs may cause Con Edison to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
- Con Edison is seeking to hire full time General Utility Workers based on operating needs, to assist lead titles in the field. These positions are in Electric Operations (Subsurface Construction (SSC)) service territory in the Manhattan region (E16th Street, W28th Street, or W203rd Street).
- Successful candidates must
- Have a valid driver's license with a safe and satisfactory driving history.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalency.
- Possess excellent communication skills, poise, and tact, in order to handle customer contact in a pleasant and courteous manner.
- Be neat and accurate at work.
- Have experience working in a position in which you are aware of your surroundings and/or personal safety.
- Have the ability to use good judgment in making on-the-job decisions and experience in having positive interaction with customers.
- Have strong background in Civil, Heavy or General Construction practices and procedures. Candidate must have extensive experience in one or more of the following areas: welding, masonry or carpentry.
- High School Diploma/GED Construction Experience
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Selected candidates must pass a Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.