Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Ensures implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for our employees.
- Adhere to the Company's EH&S programs and provides support so that safe practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Engage and support a culture of teamwork, honesty, integrity and openness regarding environmental, health and safety issues.
- Interaction with Operating Groups
- Perform EH&S incident analysis; complete entries into the Safety and Health Information Management System (SHIMS) and fulfill reporting requirements (as required).
- Work with operating managers, planners, supervisors and field crews to continuously improve our safety culture and compliance with Environment and Health standards.
- Conduct and document onsite Job Site Safety Exchanges, inspections and assessments of company and contractor personnel regarding work practices.
- Work with operating areas to provide EH&S input in developing, critiquing, and revising operating area procedures and work practices.
- Provide EH&S assistance in investigations and Close Call and/or Time out resolution.
- Provide advice, counsel and information on EH&S matters to all levels within the operating area.
- Assist in the development and coordination of EH&S-related programs.
- Assist with spill reporting and EH&S response, including emergency off-hour response and evaluation.
- Work with union safety teams and union/management safety committees to promote team work, develop trust and advance our safety culture.
- Communicate EH&S-related information at business and safety meetings, in the field and through safety talks and tailboard sessions.
- Conduct periodic self-assessments to predict and prevent noncompliance.
- Implement plans, programs and strategies that effectively protect our workers and the public from the potential hazards associated with our work activities and negative impact to the environment.
- Work to integrate and promote human performance initiatives into our work practices to achieve operating excellence and prevent incidents that may result in injury, environmental issues, vehicle collisions, and equipment damage or other impact.
- Coordinate and facilitate EH&S-sponsored training sessions and meetings with field personnel. Interact with managers, planners and supervisors to gauge effectiveness and efficiency.
- Coordinate the company's response to environmental incidents such as spills and releases so that reporting, cleanup, response operations and waste management are conducted safely and in compliance with all regulatory and company requirements.
- Monitor and track internal and external spill reporting and spill close-out requirements.
- Provide EH&S support as required in the maintenance, repair and improvement of equipment and ensure implementation, update and modification of SPCC plans, Hazardous Waste Management and Contingency plans, and Risk Management Plans (as applicable).
- Maintain needed systems to manage required recordkeeping, including reports, filings, and permits.
- Provide assistance as required in the management of environmental compliance programs and plans such as SARA and chemical reporting.
- Perform contractor oversight activities to measure compliance and EH&S performance in accordance with applicable procedures and the Contract Administration Manual. These oversight activities will also include pre-work review of environmental, health, and safety plans (eHASP) for acceptance.
- Interact with other EH&S tenants and operations personnel to ensure safety and environmental compliance, including safe material storage at our work locations (as applicable).
- Perform other related assignments as required, including response to emergencies 24 hours/ 7 days a week.
- Assists in reviewing and observing operation and maintenance department activities to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Familiarity with environmental spill response and DEC designated wetland activities.
- Bachelor's Degree 3 years of operating experience in EH&S field or work on electric distribution system or
- Associate's Degree 4 years of operating experience in EH&S field or work on electric distribution system or
- High School Diploma/GED 5 years of operating experience in EH&S field or work on electric distribution system
- Bachelor's Degree Environmental/Physical Science and Engineering and 3 years of relevant experience in the EH&S field
- Associate's Degree Environmental/Physical Science and Engineering and 4 years of relevant experience in the EH&S field
- High School Diploma/GED and 5 years of relevant experience in the EH&S field
Relevant Work Experience
- Possess strong leadership skills, initiate and champion change, and have the ability to influence and persuade others in order to improve work practices/processes. Required and
- Demonstrate proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets and/or an ability to quickly become proficient with database packages including Microsoft Office, and SHIMS. Required and
- Highly motivated individual. Demonstrate a strong Commitment to Excellence and understand the vital importance of personal accountability. Required and
- Ability to effectively interact with various levels of personnel. Required and
- Strong team player. Demonstrated ability to obtain results. Required and
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully complete multiple tasks without compromising quality or timelines. Required and
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills and have the ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff, regulatory agencies, and various levels of management. Required and
- Ability to deliver exemplary customer service and develop a team spirited work environment in support of Con Edison's Corporate Values. Required and
- Be flexible in handling multiple work assignments, changing priorities and various deadlines. Required and
- Experience in safety and environmental incident response. Preferred and
- Completion of Company CEHSP program as soon as possible. Successful completion of position-specific EH&S as applicable. Preferred and
- Ability to develop concepts into successful safety and environmental programs. Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Possesses strong technical aptitude
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple priorities
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.