Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The selected candidate for the position must have a minimum of three years' experience in basic knowledge of electrical systems, operation of electrical measuring instruments, print reading, basic electrical distribution systems and associated equipment, general electrical safety, and the use of hand and power tools and the ability to read schematic and engineering prints. The candidate must also have the willingness and ability to be trained to inspect, set-up, operate, and maintain various pieces of emergency equipment including refrigeration units, light towers, small generating units, transformers, and restrooms.
- A successful candidate must qualify and advance through career path training to Outside Plant Mechanic A.
- Candidate must be able and willing to be trained in the proper completion of generator log sheets, equipment inspection forms, and vehicle inspection forms.
- Must wear all Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and Fire Retardant clothing.
- Must work with and become familiar with site conditions including all storm and sanitary structures to maintain areas.
- Candidate must be capable of working with color-coded cables, read prints and diagrams, and read and interpret equipment instrumentation.
- Must also be highly flexible and willing and able to work in any location within the Con Edison service area and to perform a wide variety of tasks and activities such as the pickup/delivery of materials, the distribution of ice to customers, and the operation of a mobile command center.
- Candidate must work as part of a diverse team to support an inclusive environment where teammates can speak up and share questions and concerns.
Relevant Work Experience
- 3-5 years Experience in electrical trades and ability to read schematics and prints Required
- 2 years Ability to use work management system (Maximo) for time entry and updates to work orders Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Quickly troubleshoots and resolves problems
- Ability to interpret basic information on drawings.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: Forklift Certification (under 10 ton) 180 Days Required
- Other: Forklift Certification (over 10 ton) 180 Days Required
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) - Class B 90 Days Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must unload materials from delivery vehicles and deliver equipment and materials to various operating facilities
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.