Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Senior Engineer will be assigned to work collaboratively with all stakeholders to develop, test and manage protection and control system standards including philosophy documents, relay settings guidelines, calculation sheets, relay configuration files, drawings, test templates, etc.
- Study industry best practices and support technological advancements to enhance established standards.
- Perform various engineering analysis, evaluate new hardware/software solutions and support deployment of protection system upgrade programs.
- The Senior Engineer is expected to support PRSI department in implementing new strategies, initiatives and processes to advance the design, operation and reliability of P&C system.
- The Senior Engineer will support activities within other sections of PRSI including protection system asset management and remote monitoring / analytics of substation protection and control devices.
- Manage vendor performance including technical review and input to the contractor's work.
- Maintain effective communication with internal and external stakeholders to implement relay protection standards, solicit feedback and manage expectations.
- Perform technical review on relay protection scope and ensure the design aligns with approved standards.
- The individual must demonstrate technical and analytical ability to solve problems associated with relay protection systems and recommend solutions.
- Provide technical guidance on relay protection and control system to Engineers and Associate Engineers within the section.
- Present on various technical and safety related topics at organization and executive level.
- Periodically be available off hours to consult with operating organizations on relay problems and resolve emergencies associated with relay protection systems.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering and 6 years total experience in any of the following areas: relay protection or power systems engineering or
- Master's Degree in Engineering with a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering and 4 years of experience in any of the following areas: relay protection or power systems engineering.
Relevant Work Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and 6 years total experience in any of the following areas: relay protection or power systems engineering. In lieu of this, a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering with a Master's degree in engineering and 4 years of applicable experience will be accepted. Required
- Strong technical competence and practical experience in the design of relay protection systems at transmission, sub-transmission, or distribution level. Required
- Must possess superior oral and written communication skills, champion change and have the ability to influence others in order to improve the management process. Required
- Must have strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and VISIO. Required
- Working knowledge of various microprocessor relay platforms, software, and IEC 61850 protocol. Preferred
- Industry involvement with EPRI, NATF and other organizations on relay applications. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be willing and able to travel throughout the company service territory and work at company locations as needed.
- Must be willing and able to wear the required PPE as needed.
- Must be willing and able to work in various indoor and outdoor conditions, and all weather conditions.
- Must be willing and able to work in power plants and high voltage substations.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.