Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Assist in the representation of the Company in federal and state regulatory and related court proceedings.
- Prepare and assist in preparing federal/state regulatory filings, including rate cases and tariff filings, and participate in associated rate settlement proceedings or hearings.
- Prepare and assist in preparing briefs, comments, and other submissions in federal/state regulatory and court proceedings, and to federal and state agencies.
- Provide legal advice and counsel relating to pending or anticipated regulatory or court proceedings, including matters the Company may proactively seek to address.
- Represent the Company before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, including participating in stakeholder/industry group meetings and meetings with internal clients pertaining to FERC projects or matters that impact the Company.
- Represent the Company before the NYISO, including participating in NYISO stakeholder meetings and meetings with NYISO management pertaining to matters that impact the Company.
- Perform legal research and write legal memoranda.
- Interpret, provide counsel regarding, and provide written summaries of regulatory rulemakings and orders, and court decisions.
- Draft and negotiate interconnection agreements and other legal agreements needed to assist the Company to build out the grid, install energy storage, and engage in other activities to achieve New York's climate goals.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to stakeholders inside and outside the Company.
- Provide any other legal service related to Company operations.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Juris Doctorate from accredited Law School. and a member in good standing of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and able to register as an In-House Counsel with the State of New York Unified Court System.
Relevant Work Experience
- Minimum of eight to ten years' of experience providing state or federal legal and regulatory services as part of an in-house utility law department, a law firm, regulatory agency (such as FERC), or regional or independent system operator. Required
- Must have strong technical knowledge of federal and state utility/energy regulation, laws, and policies. Required
- Experience in electric and/or gas rate proceedings before federal and/or state regulatory agencies. Required
- Ability to work independently, and lead others in handling matters of moderate to high complexity. Required
- Advanced writing skills and excellent oral communication/presentation skills. Required
- Ability to digest complex material and present key takeaways in succinct, cogent manner. Strong analytic, forward-thinking skills. Required
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a client-service orientation and the ability to work well in teams. Effectively manages business relationships and builds trust through collaboration. Required
- Ability to think strategically and influence others to achieve superior results. Required
- Ability to work flexibly, prioritize and proactively manage projects to consistently deliver high quality, timely work product, and use technological tools such as Teams, Word, and Power Point. Required
- Experience drafting and negotiating contracts, such as interconnection agreements, development agreements, offtake agreements, partnership agreements, EPC contracts, and/or gas supply agreements, etc. Preferred
- Presence in New York City offices is preferred, but fully remote arrangements (particularly in Washington DC or Albany) may be considered. Occasional travel to Washington DC and Albany is required.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.