Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Ensures implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for employees whose work is directed. Ensures that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Commitment to the Way We Work Principles, and adhere to the Company's Standards of Business Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (''EH&S''), Equal Employment Opportunity (''EEO''), discipline, and security.
- At O&R, we have and we all need to take special interest in our customers, both within the company and externally. As an employee, you need to commit to these ideals of developing a proactive, customer-centric culture to foster trust and confidence among customers and improve value for all our stakeholders.
- Prepares sketches to be used as the design guide for Design Drafters in the preparation of relay and meter one-line diagrams, schematics and construction drawings.
- Effectively performs Relay Setting Calculations for electromechanical, solid state, and microprocessor type relays. Familiar with vendor software, settings/logic files and communication assisted protection systems.
- Effectively uses the Aspen One Line system-modeling program for fault current simulations and relay coordination.
- Supports the field personnel to develop relay system testing, analyze system problems and perform root cause analysis.
- Prepare outage reports for each system relay operation and system disturbances utilizing relay/DFR records. Provide test letters and corrective action plans.
- Performs preliminary Engineering cost estimates for feasibility studies as required to develop project alternatives.
- Visits manufacturing facilities to witness tests on protection apparatus and prepare reports.
- Participates in departmental meetings and serves on committees as required.
- Informs department leads on the progress of projects, including the department budget.
- Stays abreast of industry developments, specifically in the Relay and Transmission Planning field.
- Actively participates in the Company's Emergency Response Plan through a designated storm assignment.
- Familiar with NERC, NPCC, and RFC standards and requirements associated with Protection systems.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required. and 3-5 years minimum of 3-5 years of engineering work experience in Relay Engineering. Must be an experienced relay engineer capable of running relay projects, approving drawings and fault event review
- Bachelor's Degree Electrical Engineering
Relevant Work Experience
- Minimum 1 year experience related to relay and control system design. Required
- Experience and/or knowledge of Transmission relay design, settings and testing. Required
- Interpret one-line, schematic, logic diagrams, and wiring drawings. Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong analytical, technical and computer skills. Required
- Ability to apply good individual judgment, initiative, creativity and decision making in the handling of assignments. Required
- Technically proficient in a broad range of engineering responsibilities and show a willingness to explore and implement new and creative solutions. Required
- Proficiency with ASPEN and SEL/GE software. Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Develops and delivers effective presentations
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Preferrederable to have a NY, NJ & PA Professional Engineer's License or be in the process of qualifying for a license. Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.