Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Clean Energy Section Manager for Flexible Demand will be responsible for leading the company's Flexible Demand strategy and helping to craft a vision for how the company will use demand side resources to achieve multiple strategic objectives - (i) lead and drive business value for the Company through leveraging demand side resources, (ii) lead and drive delivery system value by understanding the true potential to enable a more orderly clean energy related infrastructure build-out, and (iii) drive overall energy system value by leveraging demand flexibility to facilitate renewable integration and balance supply and demand.
- Develops the Company's strategy and roadmap for grid capabilities that will be necessary to accommodate demand flexibility that can include analyzing the capabilities of the grid to use flexibility and then taking action for reliability, policy or economics.
- Act as a leader that advocates for and drives strategy towards implementation both internally and externally, garnering maximal support for success.
- Will foster a highly inclusive team culture that collaborates widely and deeply for success of strategy with strong accountability and integrity.
- Responsible for regulatory filings related to flexible demand which include whitepapers, technical conferences, and interrogatories.
- Requires a minimum of 8 years' experience related to the engineering and/or operations of an electrical utility or a strong business acumen with experience in the energy industry, excellent knowledge of computer applications and database programs, as well as excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. Knowledge of DER interconnections, regulatory process, and program design preferred.
- Commitment to the Way We Work Principles, and adherence to the Company's Code of Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (''EH&S''), Equal Employment Opportunity (''EEO''), discipline, and security.
- Collaborate with engineering disciplines and groups to determine the long-term strategy for Flexible Demand.
- Develop new programs and incentives to increase flexibility on the distribution system and be responsible from program inception to implementation.
- Determine non-traditional load relief alternatives including implementation of customer and utility-sided distributed energy resources (DER) as area substation load relief solutions.
- Assess non-wires alternatives for load relief projects and apply benefit cost analysis to determine the most economical load relief projects.
- Responsible for regulatory filings relating to flexible demand which include whitepapers, technical conferences, and interrogatories.
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to Electric Operations Regions, System Operation, Substation Operations, Customer Energy Solutions, Central Engineering groups such as Asset Management, Transmission Line Engineering as required.
- Collaborate with other engineering disciplines and groups to determine the long-term impact at the substation level of interconnected DER to the electric grid.
- Evaluate the potential of different technologies to increase flexible demand including energy storage, electric vehicles, virtual power plants, building electrification, and demand response.
- Perform studies and conduct demonstration projects to test the potential and performance for flexible demand programs with the goal of reducing upfront costs of flexibility technology.
- Create business value for the Company through leveraging demand side resources.
- Lead and drive delivery system value by understanding the true potential to enable a more orderly clean energy related infrastructure build-out.
- Drive overall energy system value by leveraging demand flexibility to facilitate renewable integration and balance supply and demand.
- This is a great role to demonstrate your ability to drive results, demonstrate application of cross disciplinary skills to the clean energy space and gain firsthand experience with the clean energy transition.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Degrees in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering are preferred) and 8 years of related work experience.
- Master's Degree in Engineering (Degrees in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering are preferred) and 6 years of related work experience.
Relevant Work Experience
- 5-7 years Must understand the vital importance of commitment to excellence and providing exemplary customer service. Required
- Must be energetic and demonstrate an unwavering commitment to our Code of Conduct and The Way We Work. Required
- Should have a minimum of 8 years work experience related to the engineering and/or operations of an electrical utility including technical knowledge of utility electrical systems. Required
- Excellent knowledge of computer applications such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Project), as well as other company software systems. Required
- Must have excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills. Required
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- Must be able to work from the Company's corporate headquarters in New York City
- May be required to carry handouts, laptop computer, etc. to meetings.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.