Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Ensure that all work activities are performed in a safe, efficient and reliable manner and in accordance with established policies, procedures, engineering plans and specifications and environmental laws and regulations.
- Supervise subordinate personnel in the physical installation, repair, maintenance, removal, replacement, testing, and inspection of overhead and URD conductors and associated equipment of the electrical distribution system.
- Supervise all line clearance contract work; tree trimming, tree removal, tree topping based on unit pricing and time and equipment pricing for storm emergency.
- Have experience with, or being willing to learn to become switching qualified.
- Have working knowledge on the minimum approach distance to conduct overhead line work and tree trimming activities.
- Experience utilizing vegetation management geospatial systems.
- Experience in hazard tree surveillance, evaluations, field data-collection and permission obtainment.
- Ensures contractor performance is reported through the Contractor Oversight System (COS).
- Ensure Contractor Field Observation Reports (CFOR), Infractions, and Action Lines are properly completed as required in COS.
- Ensure any contract changes are processed in accordance with the Contract Administration Manual (CAM).
- Monitors, tracks and accrues contractor labor and material costs to ensure they are appropriately accounted for in invoice
- and receipts.
- Responds to contractor incidents and/or damages and supports the preparation of the investigation report as required.
- Interface with Control Center, Engineering, Project Management, WRM, EH&S and other
- Operations and Construction groups to ensure safety and productivity of contractors.
- Performs night, overtime and weekend supervisory duties as required and must be available for storm and emergency response.
- Ensures availability and timely delivery of necessary materials, supplies and equipment and tools.
- Must have knowledge of the electric distribution system, Electric Operations and Construction, primary and secondary systems.
- Have experience with, or being willing to learn, Logica Work Management System. System Trouble Analysis and Response (STAR), and Outage Management System .
- Promote a culture of inclusion and engagement, growth and resource flexibility that fosters professionalism, honesty, concern, courtesy, excellence, and teamwork.
- Recognize and implement corrective actions in cases of work performance
- Must be able to exercise independent judgment during system emergencies as well as be a supporting member within the framework of the Incident Command System (ICS).
- Monitor work in progress for spec compliance
- Conduct safety audits to ensure that all employees receive mandatory compliance and skills training as required by OSHA and Company specifications.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- High School Diploma/GED and 5 years of relevant work experience and ANSI Z133 Standard Line Clearance Qualified Arborist or
- Associate's Degree and 4 years relevant work experience and ANSI Z133 Standard Line Clearance Qualified Arborist or
- Bachelor's Degree and 2 years relevant work experience and ANSI Z133 Standard Line Clearance Qualified Arborist
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering/Forestry
Relevant Work Experience
- Field experience in the operation, repair, and maintenance of the electric distribution system Required and
- Knowledge of the Overhead distribution systems and equipment Required and
- Supervisory experience Preferred and
Skills & Ability
- Ability to interpret basic information on drawings.
- Ability to build strong customer relationships
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Instills commitment to organizational goals
- Ability to inspire and develop staff
- Ability to lead/manage others
- Builds and manages effective teams
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
- Friendly and service-oriented
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Maintains composure under pressure
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Possesses strong technical aptitude
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist - ANSI Z133 Standard Line Clearance Qualified Arborist Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.