Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Serve as Project Engineer for Overhead Transmission or Substation Projects. Prepare material, equipment and construction labor specifications for overhead transmission and substation construction projects.
- Provides exceptional support to Section Manager.
- Understand and implements engineering practices such as site planning, layout, grading, drainage, roadways as related to electric substation and overhead transmission facilities.
- Prepare white papers, obtain capital rulings, develop project budgets and prepare appropriations.
- Provide technical reviews of specifications, drawings, contracts, addendums, and other construction documents to ensure constructability and compliance with Orange and Rockland standards and specfications.
- Maximize diagnostic tool application such as MS Project, as well as other financial and project management tools used by Transmission & Substation Engineering to effectually oversee construction projects.
- Avidly review, analyze and prepares layouts and preliminary designs for each project to determine best practices and designs.
- Achieve preliminary engineering cost estimating and creatively develop project design alternatives as necessary.
- Serve as Project Engineer for all assigned overhead transmission and substation engineering projects while managing lower level engineers, consultants and contractors. Work closely with manufacturers, contractors, and suppliers relative to their proposals, project performance, specification of materials, and processing of invoices for payment in accordance with their performance under contract.
- Provide technical review of construction documents (layouts, specifications, drawings, addendums, contracts, etc.) for constructability, design criteria, cost and schedule.
- Coordinate activities of field personnel with contractors and/or other departments. Maintain a strong field presence by monitoring construction activities.
- Collaborate with the Real Estate Department to acquire property and easement rights for substation and transmission projects.
- Formulate sketches to be used as the design guide for the Design Drafters in the preparation of standards and project construction drawings.
- Track project expenses using Oracle BI-Business Intelligence Application. Forecast monthly capital and O&M project budgets. Provide departmental updates on the current status and progress of projects, including the update of the Living Budget.
- Keeps informed and up to date of the latest industry standards and developments in the overhead transmission engineering and construction field.
- Attends departmental meetings and serves on committees as required.
- Participate in the Company's Emergency Response Plan through a designated storm assignment.
- Performs other related assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering and 8 years of engineering work experience or applicable utility experience is required. Engineering design, construction management or project management specific to transmission and substation projects is required.
- Master's Degree Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering and 6 years of engineering work experience or applicable utility experience is required.
Relevant Work Experience
- Familiarity with electrical systems and electric overhead transmission and substation construction. Required
- Proficient in the design of electric overhead transmission and substation components. Required
- Understands construction and operation of a modern electric power system. Required
- Must be well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments and deadlines. Required
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and have the ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff, and various levels of management. Required
- Must have strong analytical, technical and interpersonal skills. Required
- Must have demonstrated the ability to work on a team with other employees. Required
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Windows environments is required - Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Project. Required
- Must show ability to apply good individual judgment, initiative, creativity and decision making in the handling of assignments. Required
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: P.E. License Preferrederred Preferred
- Other: Engineer-In-Training Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel to and within the Corporate service territory and for occasional out-of-area business meetings/conferences.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.