Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- With some general guidance, serve as Project Engineer for Relay Engineering Projects under supervision of Senior Engineer. Work closely with manufacturers, contractors, and suppliers relative to their proposals, specification of materials, bid evaluation, processing of invoices for payment in accordance with their performance under contract.
- Provides support to Senior and Principal Engineers in supporting major relay projects.
- Perform Relay Setting Calculations for electro-mechanical, solid state, and microprocessor type relays. Familiar with vendor software and settings files.
- Review outage reports for each system relay operation and system disturbances. Maintain and review the DFR systems and their data.
- Work with the field personnel in analyzing system problems and testing schemes.
- Use the Aspen One Line computer based system-modeling program for fault current simulations and relay coordination.
- Visit manufacturing facilities to witness tests on protection apparatus and prepare reports.
- Perform preliminary Engineering cost estimates for feasibility studies as required to develop project alternatives.
- Prepare sketches to be used as the design guide for the Design Drafters in the preparation of schematics and construction drawings.
- Attend departmental meetings and serves on committees as required.
- Ensure that the department is kept up-to-date on the progress of projects, including the update of the Living Budget.
- Keep informed of the industry and keeps up to date with the latest developments in the Relay field as well as the Transmission Planning field.
- Participate in the Companys Emergency Response Plan through a designated storm assignment.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required. And minimum of 2 years of total work experience to include one year of applicable engineering work. Engineer (1H)
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required. And minimum of 3-5 years of engineering work experience in Relay Engineering or related electric operations work. Must be an experienced relay engineer capable of running relay projects, approving drawings and fault event review. Familiarity with electrical systems and electric overhead transmission construction. Senior Engineer (2L)
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required. And minimum of 8 years of engineering work experience, with at least 5 years of experience in relay protection or related electric operations work. Principal Engineering (2H)
Required Work Experience
- Experience in electric transmission/substation engineering or electric operations is preferred.
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments and deadlines.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and have the ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff, and various levels of management.
- Must have strong analytical, technical and interpersonal skills.
- Must have demonstrated the ability to work on a team with other employees.
- Computer literacy with proficiency with Windows environments Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Project.
- Must show ability to apply good individual judgment, initiative, creativity and decision making in the handling of assignments.
- Must be innovative, creative and able to coordinate with other departments.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Senior Engineer (2L) or Principal Engineer (2H) Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- Must be able to participate in the Companys emergency management processes and storm plans as required.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.