Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Manager is responsible for all Civil Engineering, personnel, and administrative functions for technical and physical analysis, work assignments, coordination, organization, presentation, and consultation associated with work on the Company's Substation Facilities. Represent the Section Manager, when so delegated, in matters relating to the Section's areas of responsibility. The Manager will manage, direct and control all activities associated with the groups civil engineering work in support of Substation Operations. Responsible for monitoring and evaluating activities and personnel to ensure attainment of performance goals and high quality standards, and making recommendations for change and improvement. Will ensure all activities are managed and supervised in an efficient, professional, and customer focused manner. Plans, organizes, schedules, and assigns resources to effectively meet workloads. Conducts periodic reviews of work performance and maintains a status of the review process. Responsible for engineering of select projects.
- Manages, directs and controls all activities associated with the groups civil engineering work in support of Substation Operations.
- Monitors and evaluates activities and personnel to ensure attainment of performance goals and high quality standards. Makes recommendations for change and improvement.
- Directs and supervises civil engineering and design of capital and expense projects at all area and transmission substations.
- Supervises preparation and submittal of appropriation requests for installations, additions, and modifications at substations.
- Oversees training, technical expertise, and professional development of those reporting to him/her.
- Oversees the technical validity of recommendations made by the assigned engineers responding to operating organizations.
- Communicates with Substation Program Managers to establish project priorities and schedules, monitors capital budget expenditures, reviews specific project status and identifies areas of concern.
- Provides supervision and guidance to group in carrying out their assigned functions. Coordinates functions of the group with the Section Manager and managers in other departments.
- Oversees the groups O&M budget, meeting the group's performance measures, and allocating organizational resources.
- Monitors performance of management personnel to evaluate adherence to Department and Company goals, standards, procedures, and methods.
- Handles engineering projects by using technical competence to determine the civil scope -of -work. Prepare scoping documents, budget requests and appropriation documents. Prepare detailed specifications for projects. Meet with vendors and customers to optimize the proposed design. Perform economic evaluations. Establish project schedules. Provide support to Company Substation & Transmission facilities, Purchasing and Construction Departments for the procurement and construction of projects. Supervise both in-house and out-of -house consultant engineering efforts. Respond to emergencies on a 24/7 basis.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering with 8 years applicable experience Or
- Master's Degree in Civil Engineering with 6years of applicable experience.
Required Work Experience
- Requireduires 6 8 years of applicable engineering work experience. Preferrederence will be given to those with electric substation design experience. Applicable experience shall include:
- Supervision of consultant architect/engineer personnel.
- Design and analysis of concrete, steel, masonry and foundations structures.
- Working knowledge of all applicable codes such as ACI, AISC, NESC, ASCE, NYC and NYS Building Codes, etc.
- Management of engineering budget to support capital, expense and retirement projects.
- Writing of contract specifications
- Project management experience preferred.
- Knowledge of computer applications such as MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) is required.
- Must demonstrate a high energy level and promote a positive work ethic supporting corporate values.
- Must have the ability to work effectively with other managers in a cross-department platform.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be capable of interacting with personnel on all levels, both inside and outside of the Company including regulatory agencies such as NYCDOB, NYCDEP, NYSDEC and community Planning Boards.
- Must be well organized, detail oriented, able to render sound business decisions, and have the flexibility to handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Must have a high regard for personal accountability and understand the critical importance of commitment to excellence.
- Must have a demonstrated commitment to environmental excellence and safety in the workplace.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) New York State P.E. License with current registration Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- Must be able to participate in the Companys emergency management processes and storm plans as required.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.