Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The nature of this job requires selected candidates to assist in the maintenance and repair of the gas distribution system in a safe and efficient manner.
- They will perform mandated inspection programs and respond to emergency calls.
- Candidates will be expected to work safely and are required to communicate clearly with their coworkers and customers.
- Selected candidates will be required to access/enter customer premises and have customer contact on a regular basis.
- The candidates will be expected to provide outstanding customer service and present a positive image of the company to customers.
- Selected candidates must also be able to work various shifts, rotating shifts, weekends, and/or holidays as required.
- If you accept a job offer in association with this posting, you will be assigned to any of the operating areas of Gas Operations (Westchester, Queens, Manhattan, or Bronx).
- If you accept the position of Mechanic B you are expected to progress to the title of Mechanic A and be fully operator qualified within 18 months of accepting the position.
Required Work Experience
- Candidates should possess technical and mechanical ability in gas construction covered tasks and should be willing to work in both indoor and outdoor environments in all weather conditions.
- Knowledge and skill are required, but not limited to, in the following areas: the use of excavating safe work practices; knowledge and the ability to use environmental policies and procedures; ability to perform standard maintenance functions; the use of hand and power tools; ability to safely operate a jackhammer (90lbs. in weight) for extended periods of time; ability to pinpoint leaks in gas mains and services; and ability to obtain certificates of fitness and/or licenses as required.
- Knowledge and use of a computer is required for this position.
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision.
- The candidate must have the ability to read and interpret maps and drawings of the gas and electric infrastructure.
- Successful candidates must have a valid driver's license and a demonstrated ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- They must also pass a written and practical road test to be administered by Con Edison.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confimed spaces
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be clean shaven and approved to wear a 1/2 face or full face respirator
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 375 llbs.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.