Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Mechanical Control Systems is seeking to recruit a highly motivated candidate who demonstrates a strong Commitment to Excellence and understands the vital importance of personal accountability. Must be able to exercise independent judgment and possess the ability to render sound business decisions. Must be well organized, detail oriented, flexible to handle multiple assignments, meet deadlines, set and achieve business goals. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively with strong verbal and written communication skills. Must possess strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with field and support personnel, equipment suppliers, and various levels of management in both the operating departments and in Engineering. Must be able to deliver exemplary customer service and develop a team spirited work environment in support of the Company's Corporate Values. Requires a BS degree in either Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering. In lieu of a BS in Engineering, a Bachelors degree in applied science (Physics, Chemistry) PLUS a Masters of Engineering in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical engineering will be accepted. Requires strong knowledge and/or experience in power plant operations/controls and process controls. Requires project team oversight or multidiscipline project engineering experience. Demonstrated experience in PLC based burner management and water treatment systems, balance of plant distributed control systems and/or gas turbine controls systems installation and controls tuning preferred. Computer proficiency required.
- The Control Systems Engineer will interface with several departments in Central Engineering; Design Engineering, Civil/ Mechanical Engineering, Field and Equipment Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Program Support, as well as the operating departments and service groups for the various Steam Operations power plants. The Control Systems Engineer will provide engineering support, modeling, studies, and project development for the stations by responding to Engineering Service Requests (ESRs), developing Project Scoping Documents, appropriation of capital projects , engineering and design of capital projects, construction specification preparation, providing construction support , developing functional test procedures and system descriptions, start-up and commissioning of projects, and performing project close-out responsibilities In addition, the Control Systems Engineer will provide routine support to Steam Operations in responding to Station events in troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and development of corrective actions. The Control Systems Engineer will address the controls for the water treatment systems, feed water systems, combustion controls, emissions controls, turbine and generator controls, and steam send out system controls for Steam Operations Power Plants. These controls consist of pneumatic, hydraulic, and electric actuators, microprocessor based control systems; PLCs, Distributed Control Systems, and relay based controls, motor controls, and the instrumentation associated with these control systems. In all aspects of the position, the Control Systems Engineer will ensure that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations. Keep supervision informed on a timely basis of actual and/or anticipated problems of the assignments that are his/her responsibility. Periodically must be available 24 hours a day to consult with operating organizations on relay problems and resolve emergencies associated with relay protection systems. Perform other task and assignments as required.
- Prepares facility physical arrangements, engineering cost estimates, reviews physical schematics, and physical construction drawings.
- Prepares construction specifications, assists during construction.
- Prepares equipment and accessory purchase specifications; review and evaluates manufactures' proposals and drawings.
- Design control and instrument systems, process systems and equipment installations.
- Assists in preparation of operating, maintenance, and test procedures.
- Participates in preparation of budgets, appropriations, scoping documents, concept reviews, design field walks, cost reviews.
- Conduct and participates in field evaluation/analysis of field equipment or system misoperations, prepares failure analysis reports and other analyses as may be required.
- Assist user with ESR initiation, review and follow-up.
- Prepares test procedures.
- Provides technical assistance as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in either Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering And 2 years full time work experience, to include one year of power systems engineering or operations. Or
- Bachelor's Degree in applied science (Physics, Chemistry) PLUS a Masters of Engineering in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical engineering will be accepted And 2 years full time work experience, to include one year of power systems engineering or operations.
Required Work Experience
- ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H): Requires 2 years full time work experience, which must include one year work experience in power systems engineering or operations. Req Or
- ENGINEER (2L): Requires 3 years work experience in any of the following areas: relay protection, power systems engineering or operations. Req Or
- SENIOR ENGINEER (2H): Requires 8 years of related engineering experience to include instrumentation and controls. Req Or
- Applicants with a Masters degree require 6 years applicable experience. Required
- Requires computer proficiency. Required
- Requires strong written and verbal communication skills Required
- Requires strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel on all levels. Required
- Should be knowledgeable in basic engineering design and principles. Required
- Ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects and assignments Preferred
- Requires the ability to work independently, providing oversight, direction and in a developmental role for the department.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must have a valid driver's license and travel within the service territory. Must be available for travel both regionally and continent-wide, to attend conferences, meetings, etc. as needed. Must be able to make field visits and wear the required PPE. Selected candidate must be capable of working in various indoor and outdoor conditions. Must be able to walk/climb/stand extensively. Must be able to participate in the company's emergency management processes and storm plans as required. Must be able to work in power plants and high voltage substations.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.