Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- With some general guidance, servce as Project Engineer for Overhead Transmission. Prepares material, equipment and construction labor specifications for overhead transmission construction projects.
- Provides support to Senior and Principal Engineers in major Overhead Transmission projects.
- Under supervision of the Senior Engineer, uses transmission and structural engineering design software such as PLS-CADD, PLS-Tower, PLS-Pole, RISA-3D and EPRI's FAD.
- Under supervision of the Senior Engineer, learns civil engineering site development practices such as site planning, grading, excavation, drainage, roadways as related to overhead transmission facilities and right-of-ways.
- Uses diagnostic tools such as MS Project, as well as other financial and project management tools used by Transmission & Substation Engineering to effectively manage construction projects.
- With some general guidance, reviews, analyzes, and prepares layouts and preliminary designs for each project to determine best practices and designs.
- Performs preliminary engineering cost estimating and develops project design alternatives as necessary.
- With some general guidance, serves as Project Engineer for all assigned overhead transmission engineering projects, as well as to supervise lower level engineers, consultants and contractors. Works closely with manufacturers, contractors, and suppliers relative to their proposals, project performance, specification of materials, and processing of invoices for payment in accordance with their performance under contract.
- Assists the EHV (Extra high Voltage) Line Operations Department by reviewing and/or recommending designs for maintenance projects.
- Works with EHV personnel to analyze overhead transmission system problems, assist in system testing, and develop feasibility studies and required solutions to solve system problems as they arise.
- Works closely with the Real Estate Department, New Business and Community Affairs in reviewing right-of-way encroachments.
- Prepares sketches to be used as the design guide for the Design Drafters in the preparation of standards and project construction drawings.
- Ensure that the department is kept up-to-date on the progress of projects, including the update of the Living Budget.
- Keeps informed and up to date of the latest industry standards and developments in the overhead transmission engineering and construction field.
- Attends departmental meetings and serves on committees as required.
- Participate in the Company's Emergency Response Plan through a designated storm assignment
- Performs other related assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering And 2 years of total work experience to include 1 year of applicable engineering work. (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering And 3-5 years of experience in Transmission Design or Civil Engineering. (2L) Or
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering And 8 years of engineering work experience in Transmission Design or Civil Engineering is required. (2H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree Civil Engineering Or
- Master's Degree Engineering
Required Work Experience
- Familiarity with electrical systems and electric overhead transmission construction.
- Proficient in the design of high voltage transmission systems and components.
- Understands civil engineering and structural theory, construction and operation of a modern electric power system.
- Is familiar with civil engineering and structural design of concrete, steel and wood structures and foundations.
- Must be well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments and deadlines.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and have the ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff, and various levels of management.
- Must have strong analytical, technical and interpersonal skills.
- Must have demonstrated the ability to work on a team with other employees.
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Windows environments is required - Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Project.
- Must show ability to apply good individual judgment, initiative, creativity and decision making in the handling of assignments
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to participate in the Company's emergency management processes and storm plans, as required.
- Must be able and willing to travel to and within the Corporate service territory and for occasional out-of-area business meetings/conferences
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.