Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The EHS Construction Senior Specialist is responsible for supporting Construction's operations groups to ensure their activities are: 1) consistent with the Company's commitment to EH&S excellence; and 2) conducted in a manner that complies with all federal, state and local EH&S regulations and standards, as well as all Company procedures and protocols. Ensures the implementation of safety strategies, work process improvements, and resource conservation initiatives. Develops and measures performance standards and reports on status and attainment of goals. The Senior Specialist provides support within EHS Company-wide and particularly within EHS Engineering & Construction to cultivate a zero-harm culture by engaging employees and contractors in building shared values that prevent harm to one another, the public, and the environment.
- Ensures implementation of safety, health and environmental programs for Company and Contractor employees. Ensures that safe work practices are followed and that the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Maintains commitment to the Way We Work Principles, and adheres to the Company's Standards of Business Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), discipline and security.
- Takes special interest in our customers - both within the Company and externally. As an employee, commits to these ideals to develop a proactive, customer-centric culture to foster trust and confidence among customers and improve value for all our stakeholders.
- Provide advice, counsel and information to all levels within the operating area.
- Works with teams and field groups to ensure that all local operations are conducted in compliance with federal, state and local EH&S regulations and standards as Company procedures and protocols.
- Promotes a culture of honesty, integrity and openness regarding EH&S issues.
- Ensures that EH&S information is accurately and efficiently disseminated to operating field groups.
- Provides guidance to ensure implementation of plans, programs, and strategies so that local operations effectively protect workers, the general public and the environment from the potential physical, chemical and biological hazards associated with or produced by Company operations and activities.
- Maintains general expertise on EH&S topics, assists in the development of training classes, and delivers quality presentations to Company employees.
- Conducts field audits of Company crews and the contractor work force, attends post-event meetings, and seeks immediate corrective actions.
- Ensures that all field group documentation, Including, but not limited to, permits, licenses, certificates, reports, and inspection records are submitted and/or maintained in a timely, complete, accurate, accessible manner as required by government regulations and Company policies and procedures.
- Develops performance standards, criteria, and goals in conjunction with the field groups, continually measures performance, and reports on status and attainment of goals.
- Assumes Emergency Management roles and responsibilities to support Company's Coastal Storm Plan.
- Reduces EH&S Notices of Violations.
- Designs, implements, drives and improves EHS programs and processes to ensure that key indicators, management letter items, and development areas and plans for improvement are met.
- Develops and implements new Safety Strategies, Work Process Improvements, and Resource Conservation Initiatives.
- Conducts EH&S Self-Assessments.
- May perform other related assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in safety, engineering, physical science, or biological science; will consider non-technical disciplines And a minimum of three (3) years relevant experience in the EH&S field. Or
- Associate's Degree in safety, engineering, physical science, or biological science; will consider non-technical disciplines And a minimum of five (5) years relevant experience in the EH&S field. Or
- High School Diploma/GED And a minimum of two (2) years EH&S experience and a minimum of five (5) years operating experience.
Required Work Experience
- Must be highly motivated and committed to delivering excellence in the area of EH&S and must recognize the critical importance of teamwork. Required
- Must be flexible in handling multiple work assignments, changing priorities, and meeting deadlines. Required
- Within six months of assignment, individual must be able to complete Corporate Environmental, Health and Safety Procedures (CEHSP) Training Courses. Must be able to obtain New York State Asbestos Project Designer and Project Monitor Licenses with one year. Required
- Must be able to demonstrate extensive knowledge and experience in construction activities, such as building and waterfront renovations, demolitions, and/or street infrastructure work. Required
- Working knowledge of SARA Title III; NYC Fire Department Right-To-Know Laws; Asbestos, Lead and PCB Remediation; Pollution Prevention; Lock-Out Tag-out; Hazard Assessments; Accident and Incident Investigations; Excavations; Scaffolds; Confined Space; HAZWOPR Operations; Federal, State and Local EHS Regulations, and Company procedures and manuals. Pref
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be clean shaven and approved to wear a 1/2 face or full face respirator
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.