Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Evaluate, plan, schedule, and assign qualified company and contractor personnel to all work assignments and activities in order to meet the customer's expectations and complete the work safely, on time, and within budget.
- Supervise and direct Cranes & Rigging personnel in the safe performance of their duties, including but not limited to the operation of cranes, boom trucks, and other assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Plan and supervise all aspects of major over-dimensional transports, including route surveying, engineering, permitting, equipment selection, and contractor management.
- Maintain current knowledge of and ensure compliance with all federal, state, city, and local municipality (such as NYC DOB, NYS & NYC DOT, and OSHA) rules and regulations in the planning and execution of work, as they pertain to crane operations, permitting, and operator licensing.
- Maintain current knowledge of and ensure compliance with all company environmental, safety, engineering, and operational policies and procedures in the planning and execution of work, as they pertain to crane, rigging, and transportation operations.
- Be available to respond to and manage emergencies on a 24/7 basis, including calling-in and assigning employees as required to ensure proper levels of response to customer needs and system events.
- Communication information clearly both verbally and in writing and provide updates to your customers and section manager on project status.
- Promote a customer service oriented environment with section employees and contractors by emphasizing professionalism, honesty, concern, courtesy, excellence, and teamwork within the group.
- Ensure contract administration requirements are adhered to (i.e. approval of invoices, receipt of signed vendor tickets, use of contractor oversight system, etc.) and that contractors are adhering to all environmental, safety, and security policies and procedures.
- Work with the section's administrative personnel to ensure all invoices are paid accurately and timely.
- Work with Supply Chain to ensure vendor contracts are current, accurate, and meet the needs of our customers.
- Ensure that all cranes, boom trucks, and rigging equipment are maintained in good working condition and that repairs or replacements are requested in a timely manner with proper budgetary considerations.
- Review and develop labor and equipment cost estimates and project schedules for customers when requested.
- Analyze and control expenditures within budgetary guidelines and maintain optimum efficiency in each operation.
- Work in teams and individually to develop and modify work management systems and processes.
- Produce and maintain contractor and company labor costs and productivity reports for the section. Report on them regularly and develop programs to address issues opportunities for improvement.
- Develop and maintain internal procedures for the section.
- Manage the work performance and provide feedback to indirect reports.
- Oversee and ensure the maintenance of training and licensing records and requirements for the section.
- Act as a company liaison with governmental agencies responsible for permitting and regulating our work.
- Assume the responsibilities for the Section Manager in his/her absence.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- High School Diploma/GED with 5 years of relevant work experience, Or
- Associate's Degree with 4 years of relevant work experience, Or
- Bachelor's Degree with 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering or Construction Management
Required Work Experience
- 2 years Experience supervising or directing a union workforce. Required
- Knowledge of federal, state, and city (such as DOB, DOT, and OSHA) rules and regulations, as they pertain to cranes, rigging, and transportation. Required
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc. Required
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills Required
- Experience obtaining NYC DOB and NYC DOT permits for crane and rigging operations. Preferred
- Experience performing route surveys and obtaining permits for over-dimensional transportation permits from NYC & NYS DOT. Pref
Skills & Ability
- Performs work independently with minimal supervision
- Possesses a high degree of initiative
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Ability to represent the company with external constituents
- Ability to lead/manage others
- Effectively coaches and delivers constructive feedback
- Ability to interpret basic information on drawings.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- NY State Escort License 180 Days Required
- Crane and/or Rigging Operator License Preferred
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Preferred
- Professional Engineer (PE) Preferred
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) - Class A Preferred
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) - Class B Preferred
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able to sit or stand to use a keyboard, mouse, and computer for entire shift.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.