Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Chief Line Constructor Specials (CLCS) perform maintenance, construction, and emergency work on the company's 138KV, 230KV, and 345KV overhead transmission feeders, support structures, and rights-of-way. These facilities exist mainly in Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Richmond, and Queens counties but Substation and other transmission support work may be required throughout the five boroughs as well.
- Reporting location is typically located in Westchester County however, specific project work may require the individual to report directly to the field.
- The work involves structures that typically are approximately 125 feet high, but can be as high as 475 feet. It is necessary to climb most structures but large platform lifts are used on occasion.
- Primary work functions involve rigging, hoisting, installing anchors and guys, replacing insulators, installing conductors, performing climbing inspections of transmission structures, patrolling rights-of-way, repairing access roads and gates, and manually and/or electronically recording data in the field.
- All personnel will qualify in, and perform 345KV live line hot stick work and will be required to work with a portable protective air gap device (PPAG).
- Candidates should be highly motivated, flexible, responsible individuals capable of handling responsibility without continuous supervision. Candidates will be required to obtain additional qualifications in backhoe operation, bulldozer operation, welding, Class A CDL, and other areas once accepted into the department.
- High School Diploma/GED And 3 years Continuous experience associated with Overhead Distribution or Overhead Transmission line work
Required Work Experience
- Candidates must hold (and be currently working in) one of the following Con Edison job titles; Troubleshooter HV (Overhead), Line Constructor, Line Constructor HV, Chief Line Constructor, Chief Line Constructor HV, or equivalent industry title such as Apprentice Line worker, Journeyperson Line worker, Lead Line Worker, Working Foreperson, etc.
- Selected applicants must possess a Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and must be capable of successfully completing specific construction activities on transmission structures.
- Class A CDL, backhoe qualification and overhead transmission experience are desirable. If required, appropriate training in these areas shall be provided once candidate is accepted into the department.
- Applicants will be selected based upon an interview and 2 week evaluation of their ability to complete standard construction and maintenance activities on transmission structures at various heights (Tower Assessment).
- Upon satisfactory evaluation, candidates will gain hands on experience working in TLM.
- Once all applicable training and testing is completed successfully, candidates will be given the Chief Line Constructor Special (CLCS) title. ALL training previously mentioned must be completed within 24 months of the candidates' first day in the TLM section.
- Selected candidates must be physically able to perform the duties involved with this position and must be capable of gradually adjusting to working on high structures with proper training.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confimed spaces
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be clean shaven and approved to wear a 1/2 face or full face respirator
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must free climb ladders up to 475 feet high
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 375 llbs.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.