Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- At O&R, we have and we all need to take special interest in our customers, both within the company and externally. As an employee, you need to commit to these ideals of developing a proactive, customer-centric culture to foster trust and confidence among customers and improve value for all our stakeholders.
- Substation Engineer's major responsibilities include: Substation layout design, drawing review, equipment and/ or construction labor specifications for all substation projects. Prepare sketches to be used as the design guide for the Design Drafters in the preparation construction drawings. Perform preliminary Engineering cost estimates for feasibility studies as required to develop project alternatives. Review, analyze, and prepare reports for each substation project to determine best practices and designs. Perform ampacity calculations, substation grounding, battery sizing, lightning protection, and insulation co-ordination. Performs field walk and provide support before, during and after construction.
- The Engineer will provide support to Senior and Principal Engineers in supporting major substation projects. The Principal Engineer will provide support to the Manager in directing major substation projects and establishing standards and objectives for Substation section.
- The Principal Engineer will supervise Senior Engineers and Engineers in the Substation Engineering group including assigning and reviewing work and conducting performance appraisals.
- Attend departmental meetings and serves on committees as required.
- Ensure that the department is kept up-to-date on the progress of projects, including the update of the Budget.
- Keep informed of the industry and keeps up to date with the latest developments in the Substation Engineering field. Will possess and maintain familiarity with IEEE, ANSI, NESC standards applicable to substation design along with NERC/FERC regulatory standards.
- Participates in the Company's Emergency Response Plan through a designated storm assignment.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required And 2 years of total work experience to include one year of applicable engineering work (Engineer-O&R) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required And 3-5 years of total work experience in substation engineering work or related operations experience (Senior Engineer-O&R) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 8 years of total engineering work experience, with at least 5 years in substation engineering work or related electric operations experience (Principal Engineer)
Required Work Experience
- Minimum 1 year experience related substation design experience. Required
- Experience and/or knowledge of substation layout and major equipment including breakers, switches, and substation steel. Required
- Must have ability to interpret layout, one-line, and schematic drawings. Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong analytical, technical and computer skills. Required
- Must show ability to apply good individual judgment, initiative, creativity and decision making in the handling of assignments. Required
- The Principal Engineer must be technically proficient in a broad range of engineering responsibilities and show a willingness to explore and implement creative solutions. Required
- Proficiency with IEEE/ANSI Standards and National Electrical Safety Code. Req
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Preferrederable to have a NY, NJ & PA Professional Engineer's License or be in the process of qualifying for a license. Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.