Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Oversees contractors to ensure that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Ensures implementation of the contractors' environmental, health and safety plans (eHASP) on a daily basis.
- Communicates with superiors, subordinates, and contractors and interfaces with various company departments to ensure orderly, timely and cost-effective completion of all vegetation management activities.
- Performs field inspections to visually ensure all procedures are being implemented. Obtains first-hand information and evaluates conditions. Reports job status and progress to middle, upper and executive levels of management.
- Reviews and evaluates overhead transmission vegetation management activities, contractor work submittals, and contractor payment requests, issuing modifications when required.
- Assists with the preparation of annual Public Service Commission (PSC) and North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) reports and data collection.
- Develops monthly forecasts for annual budgets, prepares monthly accruals, and tracks contractor expenditures.
- Prepares contractor field observation reports, contractor evaluation reports, and safety inspection reports and ensures they are entered into the Contractor oversight System (COS).
- Ensures the reliability of the overhead transmission system by managing ROW and off-ROW vegetation in accordance with the company's Vegetation Management Plan, and associated specifications and procedures.
- Assists in the development, revision, and modification of the Transmission Vegetation Management Plan.
- Supervises and manages all facets of contractor work involving ROW and off-ROW vegetation management activities, including but not limited to evaluating the quality of the work and requesting follow-up work be performed prior to issuing contractor payments.
- Provides guidance and expertise to Company forces that inspect the right-of-way. This shall involve conducting job briefings and making occasional aerial patrols of the right-of-way.
- Provides expert arboriculture advice and guidance to municipalities, adjacent property owners, and other internal and external customers as required.
- Performs night, overtime, and weekend supervisory duty as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Associate's Degree Forestry, Biology, Environmental Science And 4 years relevant work experience pertaining to vegetation management activities Or
- Bachelor's Degree Forestry, Biology, Environmental Science And 2 years relevant work experience pertaining to vegetation management activities
- Bachelor's Degree Forestry, Biology, Environmental Science And 2 years experience managing contractors performing electric distribution or transmission vegetation management.
Required Work Experience
- two years of work experience in electric distribution or transmission vegetation management Req Or
- four years of contractor oversight experience Req Or
- four years of vegetation management experience Req
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Ability to interpret basic information on drawings.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data
- Ability to build strong customer relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to represent the company with external constituents
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Performs work independently with minimal supervision
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
- Possesses strong technical aptitude
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Pesticide Applicator or Pesticide Technician License 180 Days Required
- Other: International Society of Arborists Certification 180 Days Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Conduct aerial system inspections via a helicopter
- Walk and drive a 4 wheel drive vehicle on unstable off-road terrain on company Rights-of-Way
- Must be able to travel to different work locations as required.
- Must be able to walk on steep vegetation covered slopes.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.