Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Ensure implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for employees whose work is directed. Ensure that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Commitment to the Way We Work Principles, and adheres to the Company's Standards of Business Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (''EH&S''), Equal Employment Opportunity (''EEO''), discipline, and security.
- At Con Edison we have and we all need to take special interest in our customers, both within the Company and externally. As an employee, you are expected to commit to these ideals of developing a proactive, customer-centric culture to foster trust and confidence among customers and improve value for all our stakeholders.
- Promote team member health, safety, & return to workplace practices through development and implementation of Best Practices.
- Lead and manage a team of management and union personnel on Workers Compensation claims from initiation to resolution.
- Engage and effectively manage outside counsel, experts, consultants, actuaries, and other vendors.
- Utilize effective litigation and risk mitigation strategies under time constraints.
- Understand and manage legal, regulatory, and reputational risk.
- Analyze data and report on metrics relevant to the work of the group.
- Lead or participate in department or cross-functional teams.
- Manage external Third-Party Claims Administrator (TPA) relationship and internal Case Management within the Law Department and with other Company departments, such as Human Resources, EH&S, and Employee Wellness, to achieve timely, efficient and cost-effective resolutions of Workers Compensation claims.
- Lead Workers Compensation Team meetings relating to claims and claims management. Manage and promote compliance with Workers Compensation Claim Management and Litgation Management guidelines. Review and periodically revise the Client Service Instructions to ensure Third-Party Administrator and outside counsel are providing quality administrative and legal service consistent with industry-wide best practices.
- Collaborate with the Manager, Risk Management, to develop and implement cost reduction strategies, as needed.
- Collaborate with Law Department attorneys on EH&S, safety, General Litigation, and OSHA related matters, as needed.
- Maintain compliance with all applicable Workers Compensation statutes and regulatory and reporting requirements, including the New York State Paid Family Leave Law.
- Join and actively participate in industry associations relating to Workers Compensation legal and regulatory matters.
- Oversee the preparation of a Summary Annual Report for Workers Compensation to be presented annually to the Senior Vice President and General Counsel.
- Provide training programs throughout the company, as needed, on issues relating to Workers Compensation laws and claims management.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as assigned or required.
- Juris Doctorate BA or BS from an accredited college or university and a Juris Doctor from an accredited law school. Admitted to practice or registered to practice in-house in NYS
Required Work Experience
- Minimum of 10 years of current legal experience in Workers Compensation and representing employers before the Workers Compensation Board. Required
- Experience with current State Regulatory Reporting requirements including, but not limited to, OSHA the NYS Workers Compensation Statutes and Rules and Regulations. Required
- Experience in negotiating/resolving Workers Compensation claims & litigation. Required
- Experience with Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Required
- Extensive experience addressing third-party liens and offsets. Required
- Substantial experience leading teams and collaborating with outside counsel on all workers compensation litigation matters. Required
- Experience engaging and managing outside counsel and expert witnesses, establishing litigation plans and budgets, and other legal operations duties. Required
- Experience reporting on litigation handling, case management, and metrics. Required
- Must have the flexibility and ability to handle a busy work environment. Required
- Must excel at written and oral communication skills, negotiation skills, presentation skills, interpersonal skills, and must maintain a focus on customer service. Required
- Experience in managing a Workers Compensation Program. Experience in the energy industry or similar industry a plus. Preferred
- Meaningful experience with self-insured employers is preferred. Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must sit or stand to answer a phone for entire shift
- Must sit or stand to use a keyboard, mouse, and computer for entire shift
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- Must be able to participate in the Company's emergency management processes and storm plans as required.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.