Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Will evaluate transmission/substation project requirements, prepare scopes of work, design criteria, construction packages, economic analysis, authorization and appropriation requests and engineering specifications for the Company's high voltage electrical system including substations, underground and overhead transmission cables and auxiliary systems such as Pressurization and Cooling Plants.
- Will coordinate projects with engineering disciplines, users, construction and provide field support as required.
- Monitor and report on project status, schedules and costs.
- Interface with or direct project work teams of internal and external discipline engineers and designers.
- Address outage, safety and environmental constraints as required.
- Prepares or directs the preparation of equipment, cable and accessory purchase specifications including review and acceptance of manufacturer's proposals and drawings.
- Prepare studies associated with the New York Independent System Operator Interconnection Process.
- Serves as Lead Discipline Engineer with decision-making capability and meets with other departments on the installation of new equipment.
- Performs calculations as needed related to transmission electrical parameters such as impedances, cable ratings, hydraulic pressures, pulling tensions, and EMF.
- Partakes in the rotational emergency duty schedule to support operations as needed, during system emergency conditions.
- Assists in preparation of operating, maintenance, and test procedures.
- Participates in preparation of capital budgets, appropriations, scoping documents, concept reviews, design field walks, and cost reviews.
- Provides technical assistance as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 2 years of full time work experience to include one year of applicable work experience in power systems - substations, overhead and/or underground transmission systems - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 3 years of applicable work experience in power systems - substations, overhead and/or underground transmission systems - ENGINEER (2L) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 8 years of applicable work experience in the design, analysis or operation of power systems - substations, overhead and/or underground transmission systems - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H) Or
- Master's Degree with a Bachelors degree in Engineering And 6 years of applicable work experience in the design, analysis or operation of power systems - substations, overhead and/or underground transmission systems - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H)
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering And a minimum of 3 years of applicable work experience.
Required Work Experience
- REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- -Must recognize the importance of Commitment to Excellence and personnel safety, be able to provide exemplary customer service, make sound business decisions, demonstrate a high energy level, work under pressure, and be able to handle multiple assignments with changing priorities while meeting deadlines.
- -Strong organizational, teamwork, leadership, interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills are essential.
- -To succeed in this position, our team members must be self-motivated, resourceful and articulate.
- -Team members will possess a ''can-do'' attitude, have a clear sense of accountability and understand what it takes to meet customers needs.
- -Experience in the application and /or development of technical principles and practices associated with Electric Utility systems is required. Experience shall be specific to the engineering and application of Power Systems for Substations and /or transmission facilities.
- -Strong oral and written communications skills are required for managing projects, making presentations and project conflict resolution.
- -Computer skills are essential including proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:
- - Experience with conceptual design, system planning, and electrical analysis is highly desirable.
- - Completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering.
- -Familiarity with local, state, national, and industry codes and standards.
- -Ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects preferred (required for Engineer and Sr. Engineer titles).
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be willing and able to work in the field and office environment.
- Must be willing and able to travel throughout the company service territory and surrounding areas, and travel to company locations.
- Must be willing and able to wear the required PPE as needed.
- Must be willing and able to walk extensively, climb ladders, perform inspections in manholes and trenches, and travel or walk on uneven paths.
- Must be willing and able to work in all weather conditions, both indoors, outdoors.
- Must be willing and able to work in the vicinity of high voltage equipment (live electricity), transmission lines, and confined spaces.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.