Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Senior Specialist will be responsible for providing Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) support so that work activities, including construction, operation, maintenance and retirement of our energy systems, are conducted safely and in a manner that complies with all federal, state and local regulations in addition to Company procedures and protocols. Work closely with operations personnel to support the Company's commitment to Environmental, Health and Safety Excellence.
- Provide immediate response to EH&S-related incidents and initiate documentation of circumstances and conditions; support subsequent incident analysis and development of lessons learned.
- Ensures implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for employees whose work is directed.
- Work with operating managers, planners, supervisors and field crews to continuously improve our safety culture and standards.
- Ensures that safe work practices are followed, and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Perform regular observation of field activities to assess compliance with health, safety and environmental requirements, and reports results as directed.
- Work with operating areas to provide EH&S input in developing, critiquing, and revising operating area procedures and work practices.
- Work with Electric Operations to integrate safety and human performance initiatives into work practices to help achieve operational excellence and prevent incidents.
- Provide EH&S assistance in investigations and Close Call and/or Time out resolution.
- Prepare reports and supporting materials to communicate incident analyses, compliance trends, performance information, regulatory issues, and other subject matter area-specific discussion documents. These materials will include regular job observation result compilations, situation summaries, and driver improvement information, and root cause analyses.
- Provide advice, counsel and information to all levels within the operating area.
- Assist in the development and coordination of EH&S related programs.
- Assist with spill reporting and EH&S response, including emergency off-hour response and evaluation.
- Work with union/management safety committees to promote team work, develop trust and advance our safety culture.
- Prepare and present topic-appropriate materials to communicate EH&S-related information and requirements to mixed audiences that may contain field employees as well as various management levels.
- Coordinate and participate in the performance of regular hazard assessments to ensure that all potential EH&S liabilities associated with work activities have been identified and appropriately addressed.
- Conduct periodic self-assessments to predict and prevent noncompliance.
- Implement plans, programs and strategies that effectively protect our workers and the public from the potential hazards associated with our work activities.
- Engage and support a positive culture of teamwork, honesty, integrity, and openness at all times.
- Coordinate contractor oversight activities performance by EH&S field representatives and review and analyze Contractor Field Observation Reports (CFOR's) data at regular intervals. Identify, monitor, and communicate performance trends as appropriate.
- Respond to emergency situations and provide support as necessary to help ensure compliance with all applicable requirements.
- Document incident and other safety-related information in the company's Safety and Health Information Management System (SHIMS) and Job Site Safety Exchange (JSSE) as directed.
- Act in the capacity of local Respiratory Protection Program Administrator.
- Act in the capacity of Asbestos Coordinator.
- Coordinate environmental response to incidents such as spills and releases so that reporting, clean-up response operations and waste management are conducted safely and in compliance all requirements.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree And three (3) years' related work experience Or
- Associate's Degree And four (4) years' related work experience
- Bachelor's Degree EH&S or related discipline
- Associate's Degree Technical discipline
Required Work Experience
- Must be highly motivated, demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence, and understand the importance of personal accountability. Required
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills and have the ability to effectively interact with customers, regulatory agencies, and various levels of management and union personnel. Required
- Possess strong interpersonal skills to implement plans, programs, strategies that effectively protect workers and have the ability to influence others in order to improve work practices and processes. Required
- Ability to quickly become proficient with computer systems including SHIMS and EMIS. Required
- Knowledge of Con Edison's Corporate Environmental, Health and Safety Procedures and General Environment, Health and Safety Instructions, as well as familiarity with Electric Operations procedures relevant to typical Electric Operations field activities. Required
- Committed to fostering a Zero Harm and 100% Compliance Culture, Diversity and Inclusion, Achieving Operational Excellence, Demonstrating an effective Cost Management Culture and Enhancing the Customer's Experience. Required
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the Key Performance Indicators (KPI) related to Electric Operations. Required
- Must be able to deliver exemplary customer service and develop a work environment that supports teamwork, honesty, integrity and openness and The Way We Work Principles. Req
Skills & Ability
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Possesses strong technical aptitude
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 375 llbs.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.