Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Selected candidate will:
- Be responsible for the engineering and design of the electrical power systems in the steam and electric generating stations and other ancillary Company locations.
- Prepare equipment specifications and evaluate manufacturers proposals.
- Apply their strong knowledge of the National Electric Code, NFPA, and NYC & NYS codes to their projects.
- Perform calculations relating to proper equipment selection, breaker coordination, short circuit and voltage drop.
- Provide field support as needed during the planning and execution phases of respective projects.
- Assist in the preparation of operating, maintenance, and test requirements.
- Participate in multidisciplinary projects relating to emergency diesel generators, UPS, fire protection and mechanical systems projects (e.g. HVAC, oil water separators) requiring electrical support.
- Assist in evaluating whether problematic equipment should be repaired or replaced.
- Establish and maintain effective lines of communication among various internal and external organizations.
- Present on project details to inform and guide Central Engineering, various internal Customers, and all levels of management.
- Provides other technical assistance as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Master's Degree with a Bachelors degree in Engineering And 6 years applicable engineering work experience - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H). Experience in project planning, design, and construction of industrial electrical power systems including the selection of power equipment. Must be able to exercise independent judgment and render sound business decisions. Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 8 years applicable engineering work experience - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H). Strong experience in project planning, design, and implementation of industrial electrical power systems including the selection of power equipment.
- Requires the ability to work independently, initiate areas of investigation, and drive projects/programs to achieve results.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 3 years applicable engineering work experience - ENGINEER (2L). Experience in project planning, design, and construction of industrial electrical power systems including the selection of power equipment.
- Must be able to exercise independent judgment and render sound business decisions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 2 years of work experience to include one year of applicable engineering work experience - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H). Engineering experience working on commercial/industrial electrical system design, construction, operations, maintenance, testing or analysis
Required Work Experience
- Requires a Bachelors degree in Engineering and a minimum of 2 years full time work experience to include 1 year of applicable engineering work experience.
- Requires a proven record of accomplishments in providing engineering support for various types of commercial building/yard electrical systems, including selection of power equipment (e.g. bus bar, cables, generators, MCCs, motors, power panels, switchgear, transformers, UPS, etc.).
- Must be especially well versed in the National Electric Code, and NFPA; be able to perform breaker coordination, short circuit, voltage drop, select electrical equipment.
- Requires computer proficiency to include Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel).
- Requires strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Requires strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel on all levels.
- Should be knowledgeable in basic engineering design and principles. Required
- Professional Engineers License preferred. Preferred
- Ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects and assignments Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be willing and able to travel to company locations and wear the required PPE as needed.
- Must be willing and able to make the required visits to power plants and commercial facilities.
- Must be willing and able to wear the required PPE.
- Must be willing and able to work in all weather conditions, confined spaces.
- Must be willing and able to walk extensively indoors and outdoors and climb ladders.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.